Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Heaven in a Haitian Orphanage

We had been warned by "Big Jeff", our missionary host, before we arrived at the orphanage to expect to be shocked emotionally at what we would see and experience.  As I got off the bus and walked into the orphanage grounds, I viewed conditions akin to a labor camp in Nazi Germany during WWII.

Then I entered into a large lean-to tarp/tent with crude wooden benches where about 60 Haitian orphans were singing, clapping, and praising Jesus at the top of their lungs in their native language---with huge smiles on their faces!  I stood there in complete amazement as I took it all in.  And I was humbled.....a doctor from the U.S. on a one week mission trip to Haiti got a glimpse of what Heaven will be like as children with absolutely nothing from a material standpoint sang to Jesus with incredible JOY!

And this joy was obviously completely INDEPENDENT of their circumstances in life.  A child would be hard-pressed to find himself in more difficult conditions than these children experience---no running water, one outdoor bathroom without septic facilities, tattered clothing, poor nutrition, no toys, etc.  Yet they were full of joy.  And I felt ashamed.  So often I have complained about various circumstances in my life.  I have allowed circumstances to steal my joy. I was reminded by these precious Haitian orphans that TRUE joy is found only when we rest in Christ Jesus alone.  And I was convicted to stop complaining and to count my many blessings---to thank God in ALL things, ALL the time.

Terry Ezell, MD

No comments:

Post a Comment